ED Job Openings
Recruiting top talent and screening candidates takes more time, skill and money than most agencies have readily available. CompassPoint's Executive Transitions brings added capacity and provides these critical services at affordable and competitive prices. The following provides a listing of Executive Director job openings for which CompassPoint Nonprofit Services is currently recruiting. To apply for an available executive director position, please respond to the e-mail address listed alongside the job posting.
Download the Job Announcement: Position Announcement PDF
Samaritan House—a nonprofit, multi-service agency in San Mateo, CA—seeks an experienced, visionary executive to lead the organization through the next phase of its development. With a $9M budget (inclusive of $3.2M of in-kind goods and services), 75 staff, 22 Board members, and more than 1,000 volunteers, it is one of the premier safety-net organizations in the county. Services include food, shelter, housing assistance, and health services through its medical and dental clinics. The Board is looking for a skillful change agent to preserve the core mission and programming while taking Samaritan House to its next levels of organizational infrastructure, program innovation and impact, and resource development.
Since 1974, Samaritan House has been serving low-income families and individuals in San Mateo County. Its services are designed to meet the immediate and basic needs of its clients for food, clothing, shelter, health care, housing assistance, worker resources, and case management services. With the help of thousands of volunteers and donors every year, Samaritan House helps meet the basic daily needs of more than 12,000 individuals in central San Mateo County. All of its services and programs are designed to provide individualized assistance and comprehensive resources to promote stability and security for its clients. The Samaritan House mission is to mobilize the resources of the community to help those who are in need while preserving dignity, promoting self-sufficiency, and providing hope. For more information, visit www.samaritanhousesanmateo.org.
The Samaritan House Executive Director/CEO provides overall leadership, direction, and support to staff, Board, and volunteers in order to achieve the vision and mission of the organization. The new Executive Director will ensure effective partnerships with key allies and stakeholders, ongoing fundraising success, increasing community relevance and stature, programmatic impact and innovation, and strong relationships with and among Board and staff.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
This experienced executive has at least 5 successful years as a CEO or senior manager at amulti-service nonprofit organization, or highly relevant equivalent experience.He or she is a powerful connector who can align the staff,Board,volunteers, and community supporters around Samaritan House’s compellingmission, vision, and values. He or she is equipped to lead Samaritan House in its next stage of organizational development. He or she is a committed to the use of data to measure impact and to foster ongoing programmatic innovation. He or she is excellent at framing issues, making strategic decisions, and ensuring timely execution.
- Sets a compelling vision for the organization and develops effective strategies to realize it
- Serves as lead ambassador and primary fundraiser working with the Board and development staff to increase public and private support for the organization’s programs and services
- Leads the management team in the effective delivery of the organization’s programs, fund development, and administration
- Develops and maintains strong external relations with partner organizations, volunteers, and other supporters in the community
- Communicates effectively internally—engaging, supporting, and holding accountable staff at all levels
- Ensures sound fiscal operations of the organization and meets financial goals and objectives
- Partners with the Board of Directors and to achieve its priorities
- A passion for the Samaritan House mission
- A minimum of5years of successful leadership as an executive or senior manager in the human services field, or equivalent, translatable experience
- Deep experience in organizational development and change management
- Experience with setting fund development strategy and overseeing fund development programs, especially major giving, planned giving, and foundation grantwriting
- Strong track record of finance and/or business management, including setting and meeting financial goals, and ensuring quality financial reporting and compliance
- Experience and effectiveness in engaging and partnering with a nonprofit board of directors
- Proven ability to develop and mentor staff to achieve a high level of performance
- Knowledge of and commitment to the use of data for impact measurement and organizational learning
- Knowledge of best practices in volunteer management
- Knowledge of best practices in social services and the capacity to innovate programmatically
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Emotional intelligence and highly developed interpersonal skills
- Managerial courage
- Proven ability to work with people from diverse cultural, religious, educational, vocational, and socio-economic backgrounds
- MA/MS/MBA in an appropriate field, or equivalent experience
The Board is open to highly qualified candidates who bring cross-sector leadership experience; such candidates should use the list above to translate their relevant experience with specific examples in their cover letter and resume.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for the position ranges from $150,000 to $170,000 annually depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, an employee contributed 403b plan, life and disability insurance, 9 paid holidays and a generous PTO policy beginning with 22 days per year.
Samaritan House has retained CompassPoint to conduct the candidate search. Applicants should send their resumes and cover letters describing their qualifications and interest to samaritanhouse.EDsearch@compasspoint.org by February 28, 2014.
Please reference “Samaritan House ED Search” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Desired start date is spring 2014.
Samaritan House is an equal opportunity employer.