At CompassPoint, we use coaching as a powerful tool to deal with challenges, foster self-awareness and move forward to action. Whether you regularly work with a coach or not, coaching questions can be a powerful way of sparking new insights and setting goals. Below, we’re sharing a list created by the Alliance for Nonprofit Management's Coaching Affinity Group that you can you use to take stock of last year and prepare for 2015.
When we work with individuals and teams through coaching, we’ve found many of the questions below to be a helpful place to start. As you set intentions for a new year and look back on 2014, think of this list of questions as a bank that you can pull from to help you with that process. Scroll through the list and zero in on a few questions that resonate with you and your work.
For 2014 (Taking Stock)
- As I think back on 2014, what is something I feel proudest of in my work?
- How have I seen my colleagues grow? How have I seen them contribute?
- What was something I did that was unexpected? That surprised me?
- How am I using my strengths?
- What have I realized about myself over the past year?
- How am I using my leadership differently from six months ago?
- What did I learn? (skills, knowledge, insights, etc.)
- What would I have done differently?
- What did I complete or release? What still feels incomplete to me?
- What were the most significant events of the year past?
- What were the fun things I did? What were the not-so-fun?
- What were my biggest challenges/roadblocks/difficulties?
- How am I different this year than last?
- For what am I particularly grateful?
- What habits do I want to let go of?
For 2015 (looking ahead)
- What intentions do I have for the future?
- What is the stance I want for my work?
- What practices do I want to reinforce or engage in?
- How do I want to approach things differently?
- How do I want to spend my time?
- What would I do if I knew I couldn't fail?
- Who am I becoming in this next year?
- Where will I focus my attention?
- How am I using my talents?
- Who do I spend my time with?
- How do I honor my core values?
- It’s 6 months from now (or 5 years) and I’ve met my intention. What is like? What does it look like, feel like, smell like? Who is there?
Curated by Michelle Gislason and The Alliance for Nonprofit Management Coaching Affinity Group