Bachelor of Arts: Sociology with minors in Politics and Fine Arts Drawing
University of San Francisco
Certificate: Women’s Studies
Additional Coursework in Accounting
Peralta Community College
Sarah Gort is the director of operations for CompassPoint. She is responsible for overseeing CompassPoint’s financial, human resources, and information technology systems and staff. In addition to her operations role, Sarah is an instructor for CompassPoint’s Nonprofit Budgeting Series and facilitates the Human Resources Network.
Prior to joining CompassPoint, Sarah was the deputy director of Tenderloin Housing Clinic and worked for several years doing direct service work in the areas of supportive housing, domestic violence crisis intervention, and homelessness prevention.
Born in Connecticut, Sarah moved frequently with her family when she was growing up, living in Arizona, San Jose, and San Francisco along the way. Sarah is now a proud resident of Oakland where she has lived with her two daughters, Riley and Casey, since 1999.
- CompassPoint Human Resources Network: Sarah convenes this powerful network of nonprofit human resource professionals that blends rich in-person learning with real-time problem solving via an extremely active private listserv.
- CompassPoint’s Nonprofit Budgeting Series Sarah assisted in the design of the curriculum for this hands-on workshop series for nonprofits teams looking to revamp their budgeting processes. Sarah also created the budgeting template that teams can customize in the workshop series. The template is based on CompassPoint’s own budgeting process and extensive experience supporting other nonprofit organizations’ in their budgeting processes. Access the template here.
- CompassPoint’s Multicultural Organizational Development Team: Sarah is a member this internal committee that meets regularly to keep CompassPoint on target with its Multicultural Organizational Development plan; make recommendations to ensure that CompassPoint programs and communications are multicultural; and host internal discussions to heighten awareness, all towards the goal of social equity.
- CompassPoint’s Budget Process: Sarah leads CompassPoint’s annual budgeting process, bringing together the needs and priorities of different CompassPoint programs and working with the senior staff and board and to create a meaningful and effective business plan.
- CompassPoint‘s Human Resources and Finance Professionals Networks
- CompassPoint’s downloadable resources on budgeting, governance, professional development and more. View the entire resource list.
- The Nonprofit Insurance Alliance of California
- HR California: How To’s and What Not To Do’s, California Chamber of Commerce
- Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World by Jennifer Garvey Berger