Executive Search & Transition
“This consulting engagement turned our organization completely around. We were transformed by an outstanding Interim ED, who was followed by the perfect (and we don't say that lightly) selection for ED to take the organization forward. We would not have achieved this turnaround without the critical assistance of CompassPoint.” –Executive Transitions client
CompassPoint’s Executive Transition consultants bring deep skills and 15 years of experience to our work as we guide nonprofits through leadership change – from preparing organizations for successful transition, to executive search and placement, to building strong working partnerships between the new ED and board and staff. Ensure that you hire the right leader for the communities you serve and to support your organization’s growth. Our transitions management clients participate in an inclusive process that aligns board, staff, and external stakeholders to organizational directions and leadership needs. Contact one of our transitions experts for a free initial consultation at 415.541.9000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A successful recruitment effort begins with clarifying the leadership skills and attributes your nonprofit needs for its future success. Having recruited executives for over 300 community agencies, CompassPoint's transition consultants are adept at searching out and screening candidates that meet your needs. View our current executive searches.
Nonprofits that proactively prepare for a leadership transition, especially for long tenured or founding executives, pave the way for new leadership to step in and succeed. CompassPoint offers assistance with three types of succession planning:
- Consultation and tools for assuring an agency’s sustainability beyond the tenure of a “long and strong” executive who will be leaving in a year or two,
- Emergency succession planning as a risk management practice to prepare for an unplanned departure, and
- “Strategic leader development” as an ongoing practice for building bench strength behind an agency’s top managers.
To learn more about all three forms of succession planning, read Building Leaderful Organizations: Succession Planning for Nonprofits, a monograph authored by CompassPoint's Tim Wolfred. Some succession planning tools created by CompassPoint consultants and referenced in the monograph can be downloaded here:
- A sample template to provide guidance on writing an Emergency Succession Plan
- A self-reflection tool for executives who are questioning whether or not it's time to leave their positions
- The Executive Director Legacy Statement--a tool with which an executive can clarify what he or she wants to accomplish before they exit their job
- A Succession Readiness Checklist that can serve as the basis for the Sustainability Audit
- A sample staff survey for input on capacity building and leadership needs (for conducting the recommended Sustainability Audit)
- A sample board self-assessment survey for planning board development activities as part of the Sustainability Audit
- A list of stakeholder interview questions for gathering input from funders and other external supporters and colleagues (for conducting the recommended Sustainability Audit)
- A checklist of activities for planning and mining the learnings of an executive Sabbatical--a way of testing the bench strength of your organization.
CompassPoint offers a 2-day intensive seminar, Next Steps Workshop, for long-term executives pondering how to plan their departure. Click here for more information and future dates.
Training & Support