Executive Director 101: Leadership, Management, and Strategy Intensive
As an executive director, how do you lead your organization to be a powerful vehicle for social change? How do you lead with your values while achieving sustainability? How do you practice equity with your own team as you strive to make the world a more just and liberated place?
ED 101 offers a curriculum of frameworks and tools covering key leadership, management, and strategy content that give executive directors the confidence to deal with the challenges that their organizations needs to address. In this four-day intensive, we’ll go beyond just learning “technical skills” to create the space, time, and community for leaders to explore essential personal and emotional dimensions of leadership.
ED 101 is a learning community. We believe in tapping into the collective wisdom of every participant to surface the deepest and most urgent questions about executive leadership, share challenges, get support from each other, and imagine creative ways of tackling complex problems,
Over the course of four days you’ll explore key questions about leadership, including:
- What are the practices that will help me thrive as a leader?
- What does sustainability mean for my organization?
- How do I build meaningful and powerful relationships with my board and staff?
- How can I build and sustain relationships with donors and funders?
This Executive Director 101 is right for you if:
- You are an experienced executive director who wants to deepen your leadership and management practice and strengthen your organization.
You are a new executive director/CEO. Note: by the time of the class it’s required for you to have attended at least one board meeting as the ED and to have been in the position for at least three months.
Additionally, Executive Director 101 is right for you if:
- You are an executive director who is open to the ideas of others, excited to learn with peers, and ready to share your experience as an ED with others;
- You are excited to join us in creating a transformative learning space (Read more about the values and ideal of CompassPoint’s learning space here);
- You are hungry to explore how power and privilege impact your relationship to board, staff, and the community you serve.
"Before, I thought I was the only ED with challenges and questions about how to best manage staff; how to take care of staff so they don’t burn out, how to be true to our mission while handling the day-to-day operation with efficiency and compassion… To my surprise, most participants had challenges as well and most participants also had solutions and tips to share. I think I learned as much from them as from the presenters."
// RITA MANCERA
Executive Director of Puente de La Costa Sur and past ED 101 participant
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are $500 scholarships available for executives of social justice* organizations.
Click here to complete the short scholarship application. >
For questions please contact Berty Arrequin at BertyA@compasspoint.org.
*CompassPoint's working definition of social justice: “The dismantling of systems, structures, and practices that perpetuate oppression.”