Fall 2014 Program Guide
What management, leadership, and strategy programs do we have in store for you this winter? Strengthen your organization and become the leader you want to be.
CA Nonprofit Leaders: Mark Your Calendars for October 24
What can we accomplish when we come together for a stronger nonprofit sector? Come find out on October 24 at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. The Nonprofits' Insurance Alliance of California (NIAC), CalNonprofits, and CompassPoint are joining forces for StrongerTogether, a new conference on nonprofit leadership, strategy, advocacy, and risk management. Register here. Keep an eye out for more program information in the coming weeks.
Pulitzer Prize-winner Sonia Nazario to Speak at StrongerTogether
The StrongerTogether conference just got even stronger! We're excited to share the news that Pulitzer Prize-winning author and journalist Sonia Nazario will keynote StrongerTogether, a new conference from CalNonprofits, NIAC, and CompassPoint for experienced nonprofit leaders. Most recently with the Los Angeles Times, Sonia has spent 20 years reporting on some of our country's most intractable problems including immigration, hunger, and drug addiction. Her story, "Enrique's Journey," documenting a Honduran boy's struggle to find his mother in the US, won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing.
Learn more about Sonia Nazario and the other exceptional programming awaiting you on October 24 at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. Conference sessions include "Evaluating the CEO," "Can Design Thinking Help the Social Sector?" and "The Nonprofit Overhead Challenge." Now, all you have to do is register here.
Blog: "Am I Asking the Right Questions?"
Have you ever thought "asking the right questions" to be a leadership skill? In our blog this week, Project Director Lupe Poblano writes about the power of inquiry and how by asking the right questions a leader can often be just as powerful and effective as when exhibiting "traditional" leadership characteristics like advanced content knowledge or decisiveness. Read his post.
One of the inquiry-based frameworks Lupe talks about is coaching. For those of you who'd like to dive in and learn more, Lupe will be leading the session Introduction to Coaching Skills for Managers and Leaders on November 17 in Oakland. Register here.
Strengthening the Leadership Pipeline in New Orleans
Nine years post-Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans nonprofits remain challenged to respond to the economic and community effects of the disaster. (Read the Greater New Orleans Community Data Center's assessment of needs and bright spots in the economic report "New Orleans Index at Eight.") Through a partnership with the Greater New Orleans Foundation, CompassPoint is launching a program for Emerging Leaders modeled after our Next Generation Leaders of Color program. Graduates from the New Orleans program will join a growing alumni group of over 90 leaders, all of whom are committed to work that addresses issues of social equity. Read more on the foundation's website.
Budgeting Resources Round-Up
These CompassPoint resources cover the arc of what you need to know about organizational finance from big picture leadership to day-to-day budgeting and tracking. Use this for yourself and share it with colleagues!
- Article: "An Executive Director’s Guide to Financial Leadership” by Jeanne Bell and Kate Barr
- Book: Financial Leadership for Nonprofit Executives by Jeanne Bell and Elizabeth Schaffer
- Book: Nonprofit Sustainablity: Making Strategic Decision for Financial Viability by Jeanne Bell, Jan Masaoka and Steve Zimmerman
- Article: “Beyond Financial Oversight: Expanding the Board’s Role in the Pursuit of Sustainability,” by Jeanne Bell
- Templates: A budget template, a budget calendar template, a guide and template for fiscal policies and procedures, and an internal controls checklist can be found here.
- Workshops: We have a full slate of finance and budgeting workshops in the coming months, starting with Budgeting for Programs, Grants, and the Organization (September 29), Clinic: Developing Your Organizational Budgeting Process(October 2), Clinic: Building Your Organizational Budget in Excel (November 20), and Introduction to Nonprofit Finance (October 17). See the full list and register.
- Ongoing Support: Join the Finance Professionals Network and participate in bimonthly presentations, webinars, and an active member listserv for peer support and information exchange.